Is our world falling apart? Some thoughts

Last night, my brother casually mentioned that Ramadhan would begin in around twenty days or so. If you keep track of the Islamic calendar, this might not come as big news, but being oblivious to changes in dates and months, I was shocked. I had been aware that Ramadhan would, this year, begin at the end of April, but it still seemed to be a while away. Until I realized that it was April already, and the holy month was just around the corner. 

It wasn’t the fact that Ramadhan was coming that shocked me. It was the fact that so much time had elapsed which we hadn’t kept track of at all. Right now, twenty days have passed since I last left the house, and not much has happened since. 

In a normal routine, twenty days mean a lot. They can be enough to complete a couple of chapters of studying and get a lot of work done. When travelling, twenty days allow for a luxurious tour. When you start a new sport, twenty days are enough to get in the flow. 

And here, twenty days had passed and I had done nothing productive that I could account myself for. Of course I’m not counting the little, everyday things that we all do. What I mean is: I had not spent any time working towards a bigger goal that I had. Not that there were no big goals to work for - there were quite a lot of things that I could have worked on and completed during this time. The thing is, I did not want to do any of those things. And that is different from not being able to do them, for I had all the time and resources at my disposal to do those things. 

I think this is one thing that this pandemic is doing to a lot of us. We’ve lost the motivation and energy to do the work that we used to be so eager to do. What is the point, after all, of working for a future that is bleak, at best? 

I’m in my second year of A levels, and I stopped studying the day I found out that our exams had been cancelled, because I saw no point in studying any longer. And I am one of those students who take studying a bit too seriously. A week before the announcement, I had studied the exams schedule and found that there were nine weeks left until the exams began. I had taken out all my textbooks and divided up my remaining work week-wise. Then, I made a plan for the first two weeks, dividing the week’s work into slots for each day. All this planning had taken a couple of hours, but I didn’t mind that, for I believed that time spent planning wasn’t time wasted. The day I got the update that the exams had been cancelled, I cried. 

It would be a lie to say that we know what we’re doing, where we want to be ten years from now, and what we want to end up doing. We don’t. For most of the time, we don’t know what we’re doing or where we’re going - it’s like we’ve been pushed into a river and we’re just going along with the flow. We are a product of our circumstances. But we are not blind. We can see where the flow is taking us, and we’re okay with it. Or at least, we were okay with it. Until we realized that we couldn’t see it anymore. Until a hazy mist appeared, blocking the rest of the river from view, making us realize that while we are still going somewhere, we have no idea where it is. Will we end up at a scenic garden or a deadend - we do not know. 

That realization, I think, is what is killing us. Each day we see news of more cases and more deaths, and then updates of the lockdown being extended, and we find ourselves more and more helpless. Being pushed into a river is not the best experience, but when you are blindfolded, it gets so much worse. 

I really do not mean to be excessively pessimistic, and if this post is making you lose hope further, I’m genuinely sorry about it. But the thing is, I think it’s wrong to be excessively optimistic in such circumstances either. We need to acknowledge the fact that the world is changing in unprecedented ways, and we aren’t adequately prepared for that change. And before you start thinking that I’m an overly anxious or depressed person, I’m really not. I do agree with the perspective that we need to put our trust in God, and leave everything to Him instead of fretting. But it is also, I believe, justified to be concerned about the foreseeable future, and make our plans for it. 

Comments

  1. That's true, it seems to have arrived so suddenly this year! And your analysis here is very interesting. Particularly what you mentioned there about twenty days passing by... I can't say I've done a ton myself in those twenty days either though I do blame part of it on the lockdown considering the fact I had planned months ago to be abroad this week. xD Good point there about twenty days being enough for a luxurious tour! It's interesting because holiday trips can feel very long even if they're just for a few days, and that's of course because you're doing so much in that short amount of time. I like to see time that way myself - you kind of have to race with it by doing a lot in a certain amount of time.
    I'm sorry to hear what happened there about the exams and bless you! It sounds like a complete nuisance!
    The river analysis is a really good way to put that analogy into context there! It's like trying to find the light at the end of the dark tunnel. For all we know we might just stumble into something wonderful by accident or endeavour to reach something and that very thing leads to destruction.
    Anyway, this was very interesting to read, Fatima! I like how you've laid out your thoughts here and discussed them. And I wish you the best of luck! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - there's much to blame on the lockdown, although obviously it's for our own benefit I'm so sorry to hear you had to cancel a trip - that can be so off-putting! I was also planning a trip to the northern areas right after exams, but there's no way we can go ahead with it now.
      Thank you - I'm trying hard not to feel sorry for myself lol, but being a private candidate, the situation here is really confusing. Anyway, thanks a lot! We really should be looking for the silver lining here instead of complaining. :D Thanks for the perspective! I hope things turn out well at your end too!

      Delete
    2. True! Ah it was at first but don't worry about me! xD It's given me more time to do other things so I suppose I'm not mad. I hope you're alright with the changes your side on the other hand! Oh that's a shame, bless you. Well I do hope you'll be able to go there sometime after the lockdown! Tbh I can't blame you - I've heard the situation for private candidates is indeed super confusing atm. >.< Well, it doesn't hurt to complain sometimes. xD Thank you!

      Delete
  2. As for the procrastination you might be feeling now, I thought I'd mention that I too felt that way after my A levels. I suffered quite a burnout at the end and when the holidays came I just felt like doing nothing tbh. It wasn't actually until after the summer holidays were over and I started my gap year that I actually bothered to do something about it though. xD So is it alright if I share my advice? That is, take a good break and don't pressure yourself too hard about how you do it. At first it might be a good idea to do something that's different from the subjects you were studying, even something simple like watching films and reading books - personally I find those kind of things motivate me, so that might be a good thing to try? Then when you're up to it, I suggest using a planner or making a to-do list before you start your day and jot down the kind of things you want to achieve (for me, for example, I wrote Blogger 4pm-5pm on my to-do list today... I kind of went over today but oh well! xD). It's up to you though of course, do whatever works for you, but hopefully this is somewhat helpful. :) (Sorry if this is a bit off-topic btw, I know you didn't ask!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to that - I've felt quite similarly after exam sessions previously. Thanks for the advice - you're right, and I've been thinking along similar lines recently. Making to-do lists is a great way to stay on track, and while I was staying pretty organised until this situation arose, I guess it would be a good idea to start using them again. (And I get that, lol! :D Although I've found that even if you don't do everything on your planner/to-do list, simply having a plan ensures more productivity than not having one in the first place.) And thank you - this was certainly helpful! :)

      Delete
    2. I guess it's a common thing! No problem, it's my pleasure. That's right, to-do lists are simple to write yet definitely effective for keeping on track. (Very true!! I noticed that myself when I tested to see if I was doing better without. xD Even if you don't manage to tick everything off at the end of the day, it feels really good when you do - which is motivating. :)) You're welcome!

      Delete
  3. Keep it up.
    O lord, give me a love of present moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love fasting and i love ramadan

    ReplyDelete
  5. assalam-o-alikum
    your blog is awesome
    you can also see my sites

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Changes I would like to see in my country five years ahead

Short Story~The Storm

Poetry: To Dream