My Soapmaking Adventures!


Since the last four or five months, I have developed a new interest, that is significantly different from all of my other interests and hobbies. Soapmaking! If you aren’t familiar with the concept and idea behind it, it might sound very strange to you. But that is why I’m posting this: to tell you about it and how simple it is, my own personal experiences regarding it and the challenges I faced, and also, to convince you to start soapmaking as well. If you’re interested, please read ahead.

I had been interested in the idea of soapmaking for at least a year before I learnt how to make it, and started making it. I think my initial interest in this area arose after our family’s transition to natural hair care, which was about two years ago. After reading a number of blog posts on natural living and even attending a couple of workshops on the topic, I found myself determined to try out soapmaking. I had tried making a few DIY natural beauty products before as well, such as face scrubs, deodorants and lip balms, and they all had given pretty good results. However, soapmaking was apparently much more complicated than these things, so I couldn’t just begin doing it by myself right away. It involved handling a dangerous chemical (sodium hydroxide), and some calculations, so I was wary of starting it by myself. However, I soon got a chance to learn the basics of it from a person who is quite skilled in the art of it and runs her own small business of natural products – including soaps – (www.gavrilev.com) so I became confident that I could do it.

Although there are endless tutorials on soapmaking available on the internet, I still find it important to shed some light on the basic chemistry behind it. Basically, all soaps are made from fats/oils that react with an alkali called sodium hydroxide, NaOH (or potassium hydroxide, KOH, in the case of liquid soaps) in a process called saponification that produces soap and glycerin. In simple words, we combine oils with a caustic soda solution that react and produce soap when the reaction is complete. Although there is much more to soapmaking than this, the thing I have mentioned above is the basic principle. (If you would like to learn more about soapmaking, I would recommend this tutorial: https://www.gavrilev.com/single-post/natural-soap-making-101)

Apart from the basic principle that I just mentioned – which I believe, applies to commercial soaps as well – the handmade soaps are different from commercially manufactured soaps in almost every other possible way. Shape, appearance, smell, texture, packaging, you name it! Commercial soaps have a uniform shape and size while handmade soaps vary from bar to bar, depending on the mold you used and the shape you cut it in. Commercial soaps often have their brands logo embossed on them, while handmade soaps might have hand carved designs, some herbs and petals embedded between the layers, and visible traces of natural colourants or clay on them. Or they might just be plain. While commercial soaps usually have a very strong fragrance – probably from synthetic esters created in laboratories – handmade soap bars smell refreshingly of essential oils and herbs that come from nature.

Once I learnt the basics of it, I was pretty excited to start making it by myself. However, soapmaking required some special equipment and material, and I couldn’t start out without it. For example, I had to use a very accurate digital measuring balance, because soapmaking required very accurate measurements. Otherwise, the soaps could turn out to be too caustic, or unfit for use. It also required a stick blender for blending the lye solution with the oils, and it was recommended not to use the one that’s used in the kitchen. Finding sodium hydroxide was a challenge too. While it was supposed to be available at local hardware stores, it wasn’t there at the one near our house, and so we had to get it from a shop in another block. Nevertheless, when I finally collected all the equipment and material I needed, I started out with much fervor.

Soaps made to look like
brownies, with a light brown
base and a darker top 
The first batch of soaps I made were of 100% coconut oil, without any textures or flavours, and with just a few drops of lavender essential oil for fragrance. When it turned out to be good enough, I felt confident enough to experiment with some flavours and made a batch of orange soaps. As oranges were in season back then, I used fresh orange juice, orange peel powder (that I’d made by myself too) and orange essential oil to get an orange-ish smell in it. I also experimented with oils in this recipe, using a combination of different oils rather than just one oil. It turned out to be really good, and this successful beginning led me to experiment with a range of stuff. For example, I made a batch of cocoa soaps! I used the coconut oil recipe for it, and added a couple of spoons of cocoa powder to the mixture. Although I loved these chocolate soaps, my parents’ didn’t really approve of them, so I didn’t make them again. In another batch of soap, I used neem infusion instead of water (made from neem leaves I had picked from the neem tree outside our house), and added a clay (multani mitti aka Fuller’s earth) to the mixture. This was a great soap, as the addition of clay gave the bar a lovely, smooth and silky touch. Later on, I also experimented with creating marbled effects in the soaps by adding a number of natural colourants (such as turmeric, cocoa powder, cinnamon powder, clays, etc.) to the mixture divided in equal parts. I also made a batch of soaps made to look like brownies, in which I made a light-brown base (by adding multani mitti) and topped it with a darker layer (made by adding cocoa powder).

I think soapmaking is a fun activity, especially if you like to experiment with art and play around with colours and ingredients. But the most important reason for pursuing it is and should be the ecological contribution we can make through it. It is such a relief to know that the soapy water that goes down our drain won’t do any damage to marine life – it wouldn’t kill fishes and other sea creatures. Additionally, the soaps we make don’t come wrapped up in plastic packaging; thus lowering our carbon footprint. And lastly, these handmade soaps do not damage our skin in the short or long term, unlike commercial soaps.

Therefore, I strongly believe that every person should try this out and start making their own handmade soaps. After all, everyone does cook their own food and do their own chores, don’t they? Believe me, it wouldn’t be an additional burden, rather, just a fun activity to get out of the routine. And they benefits that come with it will significantly outweigh any difficulties you faced in making it. But if you still aren’t eager to try it out yourself, I would recommend you to look for some local soapmaker in your community and buy some from them. However, handmade soaps, when you buy them, are quite expensive, and the best option is to make them yourself!

I hope I managed to somewhat convince you to try out this activity. If you’d like to share your own experiences about it, or if you’ve already tried it out, then please feel free to leave a comment about it. I’d also love to answer any questions you might have about soapmaking, (although I’m still a novice!) so don’t hesitate in asking.
 
Credits: Photography by Zainab Salman

Comments

  1. I agree with you - soapmaking is a wonderful activity and shifting completely to homemade soaps isn't that difficult, as long as you make new soap batches while keeping your rate of consumption in mind, so that you don't run out of them. Coming up with new flavors, experimenting with essential oil combinations, and stirring away over a pot of soap can actually be more of a fun activity than a chore! :D
    Anyway, I loved reading your post! Thanks for offering such an interesting insight on soapmaking! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a chemistry student,I am familiar with the concept of soap making but we learnt it at an industrial level.Earlier I thought that soaps can only be produced commercially but it's good to know that soap making at home is not that dufficult.The concept of other DIY products you have mentioned is also new for me (would love to read about your experience with them also).
    The way you explained the chemistry behind soap making is quiet interesting and relatable since I have worked with chemicals such as NaOH during my studies.
    I didn't know that there could be a soap solely based on coconut oil or that we can use oranges in soap:D
    The soap made with neem and multani mitti would be good for skin too.I like the appearance of cocoa soap.Yes they do look like brownies:D
    I didn't know how much hand made soaps differ from the commercial ones but I can guess this through the pics.
    And yes!they are ecologically safe.Recently,after knowing how consumption of certain products is harming the ecosystem,I was quite concious about the chemicals we drain into our sinks everyday.l minimized their use but wasn't sure what to use as an alternative.
    Your post has motivated me to try this activity at home. Especially it has given me the insight that as a chemist I can use my knowledge of chemistry for producing natural and ecological safe products at home.
    I would suggest you to conduct a workshop in future(if possible).I'm sure people would love to know about this concept.
    May Allah taala bless u always:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It's true that soapmaking at a small-scale at home isn't commonly known about. However, it isn't difficult at all. You are absolutely right about that you can use your knowledge of Chemistry in soapmaking. I think that would give you an edge to those soapmakers who haven't studied chemistry. Thanks for the suggestion... I don't know if that would be possible but I think that soapmaking isn't too complicated... one can try it by themselves as well. But I'll think about it. :) Thanks for the comment. ;)

      Delete
  3. Hey Fatima, this was a very intriguing post! ^^ (I admit I did read it quite a long time ago back during my studies but unfortunately was too busy to comment back then so I am doing so now.) I was very much interested by the way you described the background of soap-making and how it's done in terms of chemistry. The soaps you made and their themes sound really lovely too - the orange ones must have been super nice! The ones you shared too look really professional in the pictures Zainab took as well - both your soap-making skills and her photography skills work hand-in-hand! ;)

    It's very true that soap-making at home is beneficial for the enivironment as well as cost-wise. I only ever use soap bars and have collected a lot of local ones which I use at the moment, but you're right, it's a lot more expensive. I hadn't considered soap-making until I read this post and now I'm feeling pretty inspired thanks to you! :D About the chemistry involved, yes, sodium hydroxide is definitely a very dangerous alkali when concentrated. >.< I got to use it in the lab when doing chemistry practicals but we only used it in very dilute conditions, 0.1 mol/dm^3 I think. We were told not to pour certain chemicals down the sink because it's toxic to the enivironment; using commercial soaps might not have a quick impact like that, but it certainly has long-term effects which aren't at all good for the environment as you mentioned.

    Anyway, saponification happened to come up in my chemistry textbook back when I was studying it this year and it made me think of this post! xD I'm guessing you'll be selling some of these via Clayholds right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel super embarrassed to be replying to a comment that you left more than a year ago! I definitely did read it back then, but I can't imagine why I didn't reply to it. >.< Anyway, thanks a lot! I just re-read this post and realised that I've actually come a pretty long way in terms of soap making - obviously, it's over two years old! - but the basic things, such as its chemistry, are the same. Thank you!

      I agree with that - unless you're putting a lot of expensive, fancy things in your soap, they are usually quite cost-effective. I also prefer soap bars, as they are gentler on the skin than commercial liquid soap (not the natural one though!) but yes, buying natural soaps can be very expensive. However, the high price is more due to the fact that it is handmade than because of the materials involved. Oh yes, it's very dangerous in high concentrations - I've accidentally burnt my hand from it a couple of times and I can assure it was not a pleasant experience lol! It wouldn't be harmful if poured down the drain, I think - sodium hydroxide is often used in drain openers - but I've read some of the other ingredients, such as micro-plastics in commercial skincare products are very harmful for the environment. Exactly - the long-term effects of those are pretty bad!

      Haha, I think it came up in my textbook too, back when I was doing Chemistry. :D Tbh I've wanted to sell them for a very long time but the logistics really put me off! Let's see where it goes. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, Masha Allah good experience.Welldone Fatima.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ma sha Allah tabarak Allah
    Yeah I saw and learned that process too... but didnt dare to make it yet though..
    But yes alhamdulillah we made the laundry detergent at home and I felt we are pleasing Allah by giving this land and in the end ourselves a favor..by atleast saving environments in one way from the harsh chemicals of conventional detergents ...way to go Fatima... all the best for more DIYs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! How did you make laundry detergent? I'd love to know that. :) Jazak Allah!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Changes I would like to see in my country five years ahead

Short Story~The Storm

Poetry: To Dream