The less obvious choice

Around this time yesterday, I made a decision that has been eating me up inside since. Writing about it is just an attempt to clear my mind of it and remind me of why I did what I did. 

Now this isn’t something most people would consider a big or important decision, but for me, it was. I was faced with two options - one of them involved not doing anything, hence I might as well say that it wasn’t a choice but a necessary outcome of the current situation. The second one was entirely different, opting for which would be an active, conscious decision on my part. It involved working very hard to achieve something that, were I not to make that choice, I would have gotten anyway.

Why then, might you ask, did I even bother to think about it? Obviously, it would be so much easier just to take something you’re being offered right away, than to go the long way just to get the same thing in the end. Why did I even think of it as a choice? Well, as Albus Dumbledore once put it, We must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy, and I did not believe the easier option to be right, at least for me.

A bit of context should be important here, I think. Exams had been cancelled for students everywhere, and most of the students - especially private candidates - had no choice but to defer their exams to a later series. However, the awarding body had announced a process of giving evidence-based grades to students, where they would not have to go through the examination process and would simply be given grades based on their prior performance. Most of the private candidates couldn’t avail this process, but as it happened, I had already appeared for my AS exams (first year of A levels) last year, which made me eligible for it. I could get grades based on my academic performance of last year - which was very good, by the way.

Sounds fantastic, doesn’t it? I wouldn’t have to study anything, wouldn’t have to go through the stressful process of giving exams, and best of all, could start university earlier. That’s what I thought at first too.

But the more I thought about it - and I did think about it a lot - the more I felt that taking the easier path would be a lie to my own self. A qualification is so much more than a grade, and while I did care about grades, were they all I wanted? I soon realized that I hadn’t decided to do A levels to get grades, but because I was interested in studying the subjects I had chosen. I enjoyed studying, and while aiming for decent grades was instinctual, what I really valued was the time I spent working towards the goal. I was reminded of a great quote I once read, that went; It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters in the end. - Ursula K. Le Quin. And so, I did what felt right to me: I opted out of getting evidence-based ‘assessed’ grades, and decided to take the longer route towards completing my A levels.

And while Robert Frost may have been ironical when he talked of taking the road less traveled, I took the meaning of his poem in literal terms and actually decided to take the path that hadn’t been taken. I don’t think I regret it, really, but there’s a voice inside me that every so often mocks me for doing what I did. I know there will be implications of this decision, but I’ve decided that I would prefer those implications to the alternative.

There’s another thing that going through this whole decision making process has made me think about. For a lot of us, there is always ‘the next big thing’ to look forward to. Whatever we’re doing, we can’t help thinking and planning about what we’ll be doing after that. In my scenario, for example, while doing A levels I can’t help fantasizing about what university would be like. I think sometimes, we get so carried away in gaping at the next big thing, that we forget the thing at hand, in front of us, that we are doing right now. We fail to realize that what we are doing now is just as important, equally worthy of being done with fervour and dedication, as we believe the next thing to be.

Comments

  1. Great elaboration of a crucial real-life situation that most people dismiss as unimportant or irrelevant. I myself faced the same problem days earlier and opted to appear in the Oct-Nov series for my O Levels. Keep it up!

    P.S. Perhaps you can share how you are actually preparing for examinations in these difficult times in your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, a lot of people dismiss this issue as irrelevant, even though it is so important for us. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try and do that InshaAllah.

      Delete
  2. Kuch Batein jho mujhay buhut achi lagi, and I can relate to it, Thank You for this post.

    1.Qualification is so much more than a grade.
    2.It is the journey that matters in the end.
    3.We fail to realize that what we are doing now is just as important, equally worthy of being done with fervour and dedication, as we believe the next thing to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Masha'Allah! This writing expresses your power of decision making, which is commendable. Keep it up!
    While reading, my thoughts moved back and forth as I had my reasons to agree or disagree at several points. But the way you have questioned your own thoughts time and again, leave no reason for the reader to disagree with anything.
    May Allah ease the path that you choose throughout your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I would have never been able to make such a huge decision. I really like your writing style too. Its my first time reading one of your blogs and I enjoyed it. Keep up.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Assalamoalaikum Fatima .I am so glad that i am able to contact you. I am following your blog since some months and i personally love writing as well and even write on facebook and instagram. Your writings mashAllah have a different essence in them and i love to read your stuff.Now the main thing i had to discuss was that i saw your documentary on home schooling and found out that you are doing your Alevels privately. MashAllah. I have just just got free from my olevels and thinking about Alevels. Due to some reasons i cannot attend a college or any tuitions. I am thinking about studying privately. Many people are saying it is hard and you wont be able to make it. After seeing your documentary i am motivated but some doubts have taken over me. Like which subjects should i go for, and how to start my planning. I personally love sociology and islamiat but i would really appreciate if you can tell me your subjects and guide me accordingly as well. Plus will I be able to do it without teachers?Sorry for such a long msg, thankyou for your time. Please guide me whenever you are free.
    Rabeea sangani
    Sir Salman's follower
    JazakAllah

    ReplyDelete

  6. Assalamoalaikum Fatima .I am so glad that i am able to contact you. I am following your blog since some months and i personally love writing as well and even write on facebook and instagram. Your writings mashAllah have a different essence in them and i love to read your stuff.Now the main thing i had to discuss was that i saw your documentary on home schooling and found out that you are doing your Alevels privately. MashAllah. I have just just got free from my olevels and thinking about Alevels. Due to some reasons i cannot attend a college or any tuitions. I am thinking about studying privately. Many people are saying it is hard and you wont be able to make it. After seeing your documentary i am motivated but some doubts have taken over me. Like which subjects should i go for, and how to start my planning. I personally love sociology and islamiat but i would really appreciate if you can tell me your subjects and guide me accordingly as well. Plus will I be able to do it without teachers?Sorry for such a long msg, thankyou for your time. Please guide me whenever you are free.
    Rabeea sangani
    Sir Salman's follower
    JazakAllah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikum assalam. Thank you for the appreciation! :)
      I think you should pick the subjects you find most interesting. Check out the syllabus of each to decide which you find most fascinating. I took English Language, Sociology and Psychology for my A levels, and studied all three of them by myself. It isn't that tough as long as you're organised and committed to your goal. There are countless resources on the internet to help you through it. I'm sure you'll be able to do it if you make your mind up to it.

      Delete
  7. This is a very interesting perspective! It's good to hear you've lifted the burden of the tough decision-making... writing about things like this is a good way to get it off one's chest. It's very interesting how you've illustrated your journey with quotes like that one by Dumbledore - very fitting! What you referred to there about taking the roads less travelled also reminds me of an African proverb I found recently, "Do not follow the path. Go where there is no path to begin a trail.". Just as you said, following the less obvious path can, albeit tough, lead to something more worthy! I fully agree with what you said about grades not being as important as the journey too - it's something I've always thought about during exam years and it disappoints me that the system doesn't focus more on the actual learning. I mean, most of us even forget what we've learned after getting hold of those grades anyway! So grades can be meaningless. I'd love to hear more about your A level journey - maybe you'll learn something new out there that no one else did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I do find writing very cathartic. I'm glad you found it interesting! Yes, I think I've heard this proverb somewhere too - it fits the situation well. It is disappointing, especially when you pick a subject because you were interested and excited about it, and end up hating it because of process of exams. That's right, actual learning takes a backseat and producing answers that will achieve higher marks becomes more important! And yeah, we do forget most of it later! :(
      Thank you, that means a lot! I haven't been active on this blog ever since I posted this until just now, but I'll try to be. Thanks! :D

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! It certainly does. :) Very good point there! I certainly felt that when doing my A levels - they kind of made me hate my subjects. Very true!! If only actual learning was the more important thing, like it should be. Glad to hear you're going to be more active on here! :D

      Delete
  8. “Fatima” serves as a course corrective for the faith-based film genre, see here https://idletalks.com/fatima-captures-pain-power-of-staying-true-to-ones-faith/

    ReplyDelete
  9. “Fatima” serves as a course corrective for the faith-based film genre, see here

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Changes I would like to see in my country five years ahead

Short Story~The Storm

Poetry: To Dream