Poetry: Escape from the Darkness

A few weeks ago, I attended a program at IVS, about which I discussed in my last blog post. One of the tasks that we were assigned during the week on 'Space Odysseys' was to create a piece of art - be it a painting, a write-up, a poem, or a sculpture - based on a space from a story. The story was a 'cassette kahani', an old-fashioned audio story about a prince and how he risked his life to fight an evil magician and rescue his father. The story, which was in Urdu and was probably recorded at least thirty or forty years ago, was fast-paced and adventure packed, telling a thrilling story of the prince's journey. We listened to the story on the first day of the week, and then were assigned the task of working on an art piece inspired by one of the spaces in the story. We were asked to work on this project throughout the week, and had to present it on the last day of that week.

I decided to write a piece of poetry on a scene from the dungeons, when the prince is trapped there and has to escape. At the time of writing this, I only had the actual story in mind and tried my best to present it's spirit through this piece. However, I recently realized that the darkness and imprisonment from which the prince struggles to escape may actually serve as a metaphor for the different kinds of darkness that we sometimes encounter in our own lives. The prince is also a metaphor for the source of light that brings us out of our difficulties and back into normal life, whether the return is through treatment, therapy, counselling, or nutrition. I can also sense some more symbolic and metaphorical concepts in this piece now, which is the reason why I am sharing it here. However, I do not think that it is necessary to explicitly mention all of them, as that may spoil the effect of the poem itself. I would like it if you read it and think about the effect of the poem, and whether you can see any metaphors in it (or if they're just appearing to me!). If you have any comments or remarks about this, please do share them in the comments below!


Darkness.
In a thin alley.
Captured. Clutched 
by the shoulders. Fingernails 
piercing into the skin. Sharp claws 
forcing cuts 
into the prince’s ripped arms.

The prince, 
was a fighter. He 
fought back. Trying, 
struggling, to free himself 
from their grip. But 
to no avail. Pushed 
into more darkness. Dropped 
onto the stone floor.

The icy ground 
slapped the prince’s 
delicate skin. Shivering 
with cold and fear.

Every whisper 
was a shout. Every voice 
an echo. 
Bouncing off walls 
and ceilings, 
it seemed 
Endless.

But there had 
to be an end. The prince 
was determined. He knew 
how to live 
in palaces
and mansions. 
But of dungeons 
he knew not 
of how to live in them.

He only knew 
that this 
was not the place 
for him. He 
had to escape.

And so 
he did. The valiant prince 
knew what to do. 
Determined. 
He fought off 
the evil spirits. 
And returned 
to the life 
he knew 
how to live
in palaces 
and mansions.

Comments

  1. I really like the poem. Good job. The format it's following is also very unique and I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! :D You can also check out some of the other stuff on my blog. I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. Wow the IVS program sounds like it must have been super fun! This task in particular and the story of the prince also sounds very intriguing... from the perspective of someone who hasn't heard the tape, I really enjoyed reading your depiction of it in this poem - I can just imagine what the story must have been like. What you mentioned there about the metaphorical concepts is very true as well! Personally, I noticed a hidden theme about thriving in the midst of adversity and pushing past the boundaries. Also, about the way you wrote it, I really like how you've split it into parts with a rhythmic structure and the way each paragraph focusses on a key concept; e.g. darkness in the first, doubt in the second, cold in the third, sounds in the fourth etc.! The short sentences are super effective too; I loved this: "Darkness. In a thin alley. Captured. Clutched
    by the shoulders" - it's so vivid! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was super fun! Thanks! Although I felt that the depiction of it through poetry wasn't sufficient, as it only addressed a certain very small part of the story, I guess it does fulfill the purpose effectively. You're absolutely right - I had some similar metaphoric concepts in my mind when I was posting this. There's also a sense of oppression (which I tried to convey) in the first stanza, which is followed by a contrast later on, when the prince escapes. I also thought that the fact that the prince did not 'know how to live in dungeons' represents the fact that when we find ourselves in situations that we don't know how to handle, we ultimately find ourselves fighting to get out of them. Thank you! I've found that short lines/verses generally make poetry a lot more effective, as well as easier to write, than long lines. Thanks a lot!
      Btw, I've been meaning to comment on your new blog posts for a while but I've had a lot of work lately - I'm doing a lot of volunteer work in my dad's office, so I've been super busy. Anyway, I do intend to get back on here very soon! :) Thanks for the comment! :D

      Delete
  3. Salaam Fatima

    If you recall, we got in touch with each other at the ERDC Teen Life Skills workshop. I wanted to talk to you about your private O level examinations experience. Will it be possible for you to share your email so that we can discuss.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walaikum assalam Maryam! Of course I remember you. :D
      You can email me at fatimasalman1907@gmail.com . Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Here are some more thoughts related to this piece, that I'm posting here so that they don't get lost somewhere in the clutter of my mind.
    Of the fifth and sixth stanza of this poem, the fact that the prince did not 'know' how to live in dungeons resonates with how we humans often find ourselves in situations that we do not know how to handle. Situations that are unexpected, often unwanted. We do not know how to react in such circumstances and which steps to take. Just like the prince who knew how to live in palaces and mansions, but not in dungeons; those circumstances are no less than dungeons for us. However, the fact that, like the prince, while we do not know how to live with or handle the difficult/unpleasant situation, we do know how to escape, is reassuring, to say the least. There is significant comfort in knowing that when we find ourselves in situations we are unable to handle, we can, at least, escape. I would not say that the escape will be fast and easy - it could involve a fight and a struggle - but in the end, we can return to the life we know how to live and the circumstances we know how to handle, like the prince did.
    (really sorry for wasting your time if this paragraph made no sense or was baseless. just me thinking (typing) out loud).

    ReplyDelete
  5. seriously outstanding....you guyz are amazing seriously

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Changes I would like to see in my country five years ahead

Short Story~The Storm

Poetry: To Dream