List poem on 'Sadness'

Hey there readers! I hadn't posted on this blog for too long, and I was feeling pretty guilty about not having done so. And I had some kind of a writers' block, and wasn't able to write anything non-academic for quite a while. But after attending a five-day workshop on Spoken Word and Language Skills conducted by Spoken Stage at the British Council Library, and after doing a lot of writing activities, I broke the writers' block that had built up. Now I am back with a list poem on Sadness, which is one of the pieces that I wrote in the workshop.

Sadness is when no one listens to me
Sadness is when people fight
Sadness is when my parents don't trust me.
Sadness is when people leave Pakistan;
Saying there's nothing in it for them.
Sadness is when I lose hope
Sadness is when I see the ugly truth.
Sadness is when I realize that the people who matter so much to me don't really care,
And sadness is when I stop caring for the ones who care for me.
Sadness is when people dump garbage on the streets,
Throw litter out of their car windows,
And even dirty the beach
And sadness is when I realize
That they won't listen to me when I tell them to stop.
Sadness is when small conflicts turn into ugly fights
And when relatives don't say hello to each other for years...

Sadness is about anything
and everything
unpleasant
that ever happens to you.

Comments

  1. It's good to see you're back and posting on your blog Fatima! (And I apologise for not commenting sooner!)

    This is so deep! I love how you've linked each idea in this poem to the concept of sadness and the way it's integrated into our daily lives through simple or complicated actions. Not only is it beautifully poetic, but it also presents a daily experience that everyone can relate to. Furthermore, it's almost as if a question has arisen: why do we let ourselves be sad? Why don't we all try to make the world a better place? I really like the way you've echoed the word "sadness" throughout for effect! :)
    It's great that you were inspired by going to a workshop! What was it like? I think I should start planning on attending interesting workshops like this to inspire me more too. xD (Speaking of which, I haven't actually been to one for a while! Which sorts of workshops do you usually attend? :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's totally okay! :) (And I apologize for not replying earlier, even though I had read your comment.)

      You are right! I hadn't even thought of that when I was writing it. But now that I thought about it, it seems to be so true. We are actually letting ourselves be sad about things that we can't do anything about.
      Repeating one word throughout has a profound effect. In this activity, we had to pick an emotion from four given emotions, and write a list poem on it. We were given a list poem on Fear, by Raymond Carver as a sample. Here's a link to that poem if you're interested: https://allpoetry.com/poem/8520193-Fear-by-Raymond-Carver
      The workshop was interesting! :D I learnt a lot about spoken word poetry in it. I usually like to attend workshops on writing\languages, art or science. What sorts do you like to attend? :D

      Delete
  2. awesome I love this poem fatima salman

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Changes I would like to see in my country five years ahead

Poetry: To Dream

Short Story~The Storm