How homeschoolers study

A question that I have often been asked during the four and a half years since we started homeschooling is about how we manage to study at home. ‘Do your parents teach you?’ People ask. ‘Does your father teach you? Or does your mother teach you?’ They ask with curiosity. ‘No one teaches us.’ I always answer truthfully. ‘We study by ourselves.’

While this fact is hard for many people to accept, I don’t see why this is impossible. With amazing textbooks for each subject, plenty of reference material and resources, access to libraries and bookstores, and limitless help from the internet, it is very feasible for a student to study on his\her own. In this article, I intend to give an insight into how I – and several other homeschoolers – take charge of their studies.

Taking charge of your studies:
The first thing that I realized as a homeschooler was that I am responsible for my studies. Unlike at school, where someone teaches you something and then gives you questions and worksheets related to it. In homeschooling, you have to do all that by yourself. You have to responsibly take charge of your learning and make your own timetables, and daily, monthly, and even yearly targets. Because no one will tell you what you have to do. You have to decide what you have to study, by yourself, as you are the one in charge.

Making targets:
In order to organize our studies, it is essential to make our own study targets. I have seen children as young as in second or third grade making their own study targets. We homeschoolers usually have our own monthly plans about what we would like to study that month. The plans include the chapters of certain books that we’d like to study, books which we intend to read, places we’d like to visit, people\ scholars we would like to meet and interview, activities we would like to carry out, experiments we would like to conduct, and events we plan to attend or organize. The targets and plans, though organized and well-planned, are extremely flexible, so that we are able to achieve most of what we want to, and don’t miss out on anything else if it is not in our plan. And the targets are always practical and achievable. While keeping high expectations and positive hopes, we would never expect anything impossible from ourselves or each other.

Having a proper study space:
In order to be productive in our studies, it is essential to have an organized studying environment, with minimal distractions, so that you can stay focused on your task. There must be sufficient light, preferably sunlight in the daytime, and ventilation in order to make the place comfortable and airy. There should be a white board, stationary materials, and books for studying and referencing. Having a proper environment contributes greatly to our studies, as we can work more easily in there rather than any other part of the house that isn’t designed as a study space.

Love of books and balanced reading:
Ever since our early childhood, we have loved books, which hold a special place in our house and hearts. This immense love for books has led us to buying and collecting huge amounts of books. Our house itself is a small library, as it has thousands of books on a variety of topics and genres. We also enjoy visiting bookstores and libraries, and reading new books.

However, you may wonder what kind of books one should read. It is ideal to adopt a balanced reading approach. Balanced reading has various meanings: It means balancing fiction and non-fiction choices in buying and reading. It means balancing studies on subjects like pure sciences and social sciences. It also means balancing your readings in your mother tongue and other languages.

Self-tests:
Sometimes, we like to create our own tests for ourselves and solve them. They are not to measure our intelligence or creativity; rather, they are a tool to check how much we have learnt about a certain subject or topic. When preparing for board exams, we also solved past examination papers and then checked our answers from the marking schemes provided. Marking our own papers was a great experience as we learnt a lot from our mistakes.

Blogging:
A big part of our homeschooling circles around our blogs. Many homeschoolers have their own blogs and they post regularly on them. Our blogs are basically our portfolios, where we post our writings, artwork, and descriptions of our regular activities. Through blogging, we also connect to other young people online from different parts of the world, and comment on their blogs as well. Getting feedback and comments on our posts is an important feature of blogging, which also helps us improve our work. Blogs are also very useful as they store all our work in one place, which we can easily access whenever we want to.

Mentors:
Homeschooling does not mean that we do not have any teachers at all. We do have teachers, but they are in fact, much more thanordinary teachers. They are mentors. Mentors do not have to be outsiders, and they need not act like a teacher at all. A mentor can be a parent, a grandparent, an aunt, an uncle, or even a friend. Basically, a mentor is a person who guides a less experienced person through building trust and modelling exemplary life. Mentors are wise people who guide you through your life.

Attending meaningful programs:
As homeschoolers don’t have to go to school and tuitions, they have a lot of time to engage in meaningful activities. Among those activities is attending workshops, talks, literary events, and other programs of their interest. During our homeschooling, we got opportunities to attend workshops on study skills, developing a career vision, art and design, goal setting, photography, woodwork, healthy eating, and several other topics. Since we had ample of time after our studies, we could pursue the skills we learnt in those workshops as our hobbies.

Below is a table that suggests how homeschoolers can benefit from meeting people, visiting places, reading books, using the internet and other materials, and having regular and 
occasional activities.

Suggested options for homeschoolers that can support them in studies:
People
Places
Books
Internet
Other material
Regular activities
Occasional activities
Parents & grandparents
Museums
Biographies
Khan Academy
Collection
of maps
Reading
Exhibitions
Scholars
Libraries
Language dictionaries
YouTube
Globe and compass
Discussions
Drama/ role plays
Writers
Exhibitions
Subject dictionaries
Google
Tools for experimentation
Book reviews
Preparing test papers
Teachers
Historical sites
Thesaurus
Coursera
Big writing board & markers
Recitals of poetry, stories & other texts
Wood work/ gardening
Senior students
Farms and nurseries
Various textbooks
TED talks
Art material
Self-test
Volunteer work
Other professionals
Offices
Reference books
Blogger
Measuring instruments
Making presentations
Travelling

Overcoming obstacles:
While studying, it is quite natural to get stuck in any concept and not fully understand it. School going children always have teachers to help them go through the difficult stuff, but how do homeschoolers manage it? Different homeschoolers have different ways to tackle the challenges they encounter, and I can tell you how I handle the difficulties I find. For example, if I come across any concept in Maths that I do not understand, I go back a few pages and study the things that came before it. Sometimes, that is enough for me to understand it, and I can continue with my work. Sometimes, I consult other textbooks and reference material on that subject and resolve my confusions through getting exposed to another style of explanation on the topic. But at times, I still don’t understand it. In those cases, I open my laptop and go to Khan Academy (an amazing website that I visit when I need help in Math). Watching a couple of tutorials and doing a few practice questions on Khan Academy is usually more than enough to understand any concept. Similarly, if I am stuck in any other subject, I can Google it up and understand it from various websites. You can also find amazing tutorials on YouTube for about everything; whether you want to learn calligraphy or understand a science concept. If you would like someone to explain a certain concept to you, you can always take help from your parents. I take help from them occasionally, when I need it, and they are always willing to help me out. Parents should also encourage children in their work and keep positive expectations from them.

However, not all homeschoolers study that way. Some prefer to attend classes and get help from qualified teachers of certain subjects. Some homeschoolers find a few subjects too difficult to be studied on their own, and so they attend tuitions for them. Others accept the challenge and study them on their own. I can assure that homeschoolers, who study by themselves and \ or take some extra help, are very much successful and happier than those who study under pressure in schools.


Comments

  1. A very informative and in depth article on homeschooling from the very person who went through the process.in your own words"I m responsible for my own studies" is the essence of homeschooling. Unfortunately the assumed disability is the top reason we school our kids. We dont trust that kids are capable of taking charge of their own growth and can lead their lives in the right direction, didn't they teach themselves their native language.
    I would love to see an article on the beginning of homeschooling. Like people ask how do you home school? They also ask I've thought of homeschooling my kids, now what?Tell us about risks, hurdles and the transition period from schooling to deschooling.
    Once again bravo on an insightful article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I totally agree with your view. It is amazing how children teach themselves their native language, we have a lot to learn from that.
      People do often ask that sort of questions. I am planning some more writings, I might share them here as well. Would you like to share your identity- who you are, as you commented as unknown.

      Delete
    2. Hi Fatima
      I am Saima Faisal. I am a PTCC graduate and home school aspirant. Your father told me about the article so here I am. Its good to know you plan some more writings on the topic. Please do ponder over the idea that we might bring school to homeschooling thus jeopardize the very essence to HS. I dont have any ID on the recommended list :)

      Happy writing!

      Delete
    3. Hi!
      Okay. Yes, I know that. It is very disappointing to see some parents 'homeschooling' their children when in reality they are doing exactly what is done at school in their own home.
      That's okay! :) Thanks.

      Delete
  2. MashaAllah Fatima!a very thoughtful and self explanatory article.I got the answers of many questions popped up in my brain.Allah bless you and give you the best reward for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fatima this was very well written! :D
    be sure to check my blog http://vaniasstories.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fatima, this guide is so beautifully structured and gives a very helpful, straightforward insight into home-schooling! I can relate to a lot of this since I too am home-educated. :D

    Just from reading this guide and looking at the way you've split it up into organised sections, I can tell you have a very organised schedule! And you're absolutely right - it's very important to have mentors, a personal library and good workspace without distractions. I also find it's really helpful to connect with other home-schoolers and listen to their advice too... it really helps that I'm on Blogger and other social media sites where I've met many other great home-schoolers like you! :)

    Khan Academy is definitely a live-saver... I've learned so, so much in maths from having an account on there! xD (The videos are super helpful!!) Duolingo is also a really helpful site for learning languages. :D

    Excellent post Fatima!! I'd really love to talk about home-schooling more with you but for now I must go! Keep writing! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd also quickly like to add that organised study targets is something I should try out! I've noticed that my timetable isn't properly organised and I'm not getting enough done so I end up having to cram chapters in my head at the end of the week (and on weekends)! xD Thanks for explaining it, that's something I'll suggest to my parents! How have your study targets worked out? :D One thing I love about home-schooling is, as you mentioned, it's totally flexible! At school they end up losing so much valuable time and apparently some teachers aren't willing to teach other students because they're either "unacademic" (on KA they always stress that you can learn anything though!) or they have favourites. :/ Not to mention, peer pressure is so severe at school (I'm sure you've heard! xD)... Something I've noticed is that many people who go to secondary school pick up bad words from their friends but pretty much every home-schooler I know is against swearing! I don't think that's a coincidence right? xD (not that everyone who goes to school swears, just a lot of them haha)

      Do you mind if I show this home-schooler guide to some people I know? I'm sure they'd really benefit from it! :D

      Delete
    2. Hello Kenza! First of all, I am very very sorry for being so late in replying to your comment! I was very busy, and actually, a couple of days after you posted this comment, I wrote a very long reply to it, but it somehow signed out by itself, and my comment was lost! :( This happens sometimes.

      Delete
    3. Now to the reply...
      Thank you very much! Oh, does it really make me sound so organized?! Well, I'm not that organized, but I do have my own targets, (though I'd achieve so much more only if I properly followed them! xD). Yeah, these things are absolutely essential. I agree that connecting with other homeschoolers is quite necessary too. Social media sites are useful as well, but I personally think that meeting people in real life is more important then that. Provided that the people you meet share your ideology and worldview.
      That's so true! I don't know what I'd do without Khanacademy, it is so useful for understanding the mathematical concepts that I couldn't understand from textbooks. I haven't heard about Duolingo, I'll check it out soon. :)

      Making study targets is pretty useful. I've noticed that when I plan out the things I have to do at the beginning of the day, I usually get a lot more work done than when I do not have an organized plan. The targets have usually worked out well, though I sometimes get behind on them, when I have other activities going on. Other than that, they are usually quite useful. Yeah, flexibility is an amazing aspect of homeschooling.
      I have heard about this kind of stuff happening at schools. (Actually, I have been to school, and I was about ten when my parents made the decision to homeschool me and my siblings. So I have an idea of what typically happens in school.) Peer pressure is terrible; I have seen many teenagers and even children smoking these days, and it probably comes from peer pressure.
      Now that you mention it, I agree that you are absolutely right about it that school-going people are often heard using bad words. When I visit public places, I often hear people swearing and using impolite words and gestures. But homeschoolers are almost always very polite and respectful . :D

      Yes of course! Please feel free to share this article in your circles; just remember to give credits.
      Thanks again for your lovely comment, and apologies for my late reply!

      Delete
  5. This article on homeschooling is a great contribution for all homeschoolers! Not only can homeschoolers benefit from this, but also people in general who don't understand what homeschooling really is. I totally agree with you that as a homeschooler you have to take charge of your studies,and make your own academic targets.
    Overall, this is a coherent and well-written article.Keep posting stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Changes I would like to see in my country five years ahead

Short Story~The Storm

Poetry: To Dream