Photographs

I attended a photography workshop last month. It was an amazing workshop, and I learnt a lot about the art of capturing moments in photographs in it. You could make an ordinary event a special memory if you take a good photograph of it. I also learnt about taking pictures from different angles, about taking care of light, shadows, and various rules and principals to keep in mind.
Anyways, in the workshop, we had an assignment to make a presentation of twenty best photographs that we have taken, and then give our presentation on the last day of the workshop. Like everyone, I also made the presentation and presented it. I thought about posting the presentation on my blog, but realized that as it has portraits of many people, they may not like it if I post the presentation with their pictures online. (Also, I wouldn't like it if someone posts their presentation online if it has my photograph without my permission.) So instead, I am sharing here some of the photographs that I took in the workshop - none of these pictures are of anyone in the workshop.
Click on each picture to see it in fullscreen mode.
Enjoy!!!  :D


A macro (close-up) shot of some very pretty flowers. The task was to take a macro and a long shot of the same object. The long-shot is below. I added a quote as a caption to the pictures, which were on the same slide: 'There are always flowers for those who want to see them.' ~ Henry Matisse

Yes, this is the long shot. And I didn't use the camera's zoom-in, zoom-out feature for this. I changed my position for the different shots, because zooming in makes the shot kind of blurred.

One shot showing depth and perspective. That means that the foreground objects will appear larger than the background. I think I captured it very well. I had to put my camera on the pavement to take this picture, but it was worth it.

A photograph of flowers in a flower pot. I added this quote as it's caption:
'Where flowers bloom, so does hope.' ~ Lady Bird Johnson

The task was to take a creative shot and write a few lines about it. This is what I wrote about it (slightly edited):
This is the canvas that I am working on these days. I have used oil paints to paint it. I got the idea for it from an art book. It is a kettle, and I have used different colours to show the darker and lighter areas, and shadows in it.

Comments

  1. Very indulging post about photography !
    Looks like you enjoyed the whole session of your workshop and keenly learnt the styles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very indulging post about photography !
    Looks like you enjoyed the whole session of your workshop and keenly learnt the styles...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, these photographs are great Fatima!! I would've loved to attend the photography workshop! 8D I love how your focus was the flowers in the first two and fourth pictures! The quotes are also really fitting too! It's interesting to switch from macro to a long shot. :D
    I love the third picture SO much! The perspective in it is beautiful and it's interesting how the tiles stretch out into the distance! I really like how you took the photo from the ground too - it's certainly a really good photography technique; I use it a lot when I visit the beach and I remember taking a similar shot in Morocco. ^^
    And omigosh the creativity in the canvas painting is beautiful too - it's bursting with colour! The canvas painting is fantastic itself too, the focus on the teapot is great! :D What kind of tips did they share at the workshop? Keep up the good work! I'd love to see more of your photography! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) Thanks so much for the feedback. :D

      Here's a bit about the workshop and some of the tips we were given:
      The facilitator of the workshop was a passionate photographer and she shared many tips and rules of photography. She showed examples of what is a 'good frame' and a 'bad frame'. There shouldn't be too many objects in the background, otherwise, the focus would shift from the subject (can be an object or person). However, it is effective to add an interesting element in your picture. She showed us a picture in which a couple was sitting on a bench in a garden, with pigeons on the grass surrounding them. The pigeons added an interesting element to the picture. Similarly, she advised us that if you're taking a picture of a child playing with toys, capture the toys with the child as well, as it creates an interesting element in it.
      For portraits, she told us that it's a good idea to have the subject looking into the frame, rather than at the camera. She also told us about catchlight, which is light reflecting in the subject's eyes. You must have noticed a white dot in the pupil of someone's eye when they're facing a light source. Well, that's the catchlight. It creates a bit of liveliness in the portrait.
      She also said that whenever you're photographing something, take shots of it from all possible angles. Stand up on tables and chairs and take shots from there, take shot sitting, crouching, or lying on the floor, take pictures from each side of the subject. This is very effective, because when you take pictures of an object from so many angles, you explore a lot about the subject and get a lot of pictures, so you can choose one of the best.

      Delete
    2. You're most welcome! :D

      Ah thank you for sharing that! These tips should help improve my photography. :D I hadn't thought about the concept of there being too many objects in a picture... true, it would lose focus! I had never thought about elements either! I'll have that in mind too... they help to create a certain theme, don't they? :D Catch-light is certainly a very important aspect of portraits in photography! (And in all forms of art! xD) Angles are also vital in photography too, I agree! Finding the perfect angle can be so hard. In fact, the angle can change everything about the photo (I saw this post on Tumblr about how these photographers changed the angle of their photography significantly and it changed the photographs completely - in some of them it looked like they were falling! xD) True! You can always delete the ones you don't like too. :) Thanks again! <3

      Delete
    3. :) You're welcome! :D I'm glad they're helpful! :) Yes, they do. Exactly, catch-lights are very important. Yeah, I find it tough too, to take a picture of anything from a perfect angle. Yup, taking a bad shot is no issue in a digital camera, as you can always delete it. :) You're most welcome! :D

      Delete
  4. Very nice photograph ma sha Allah, your detailed description shows that you learnt a lot from this session :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Changes I would like to see in my country five years ahead

Short Story~The Storm

Poetry: To Dream