A Visit to Javed Manzil: Allama Iqbal Museum

I visited Javed Manzil, or Allama Iqbal Museum, as it is also called, in October this year during a trip to Lahore. The museum used to be the house of the renown Poet of the East; Allama Muhammad Iqbal. The place was constructed a few years before Iqbal's death, and he constructed it on his own expense. However, he dedicated the house to his son, Javed Iqbal, thus calling it Javed Manzil. Since he had given the house to his son, and he had to live in it as well, he actually paid his son the rent for the four rooms he occupied in the house.

A few years after Iqbal’s death, the Government of Pakistan bought the house from Javed Iqbal to turn it into a museum. The museum was opened for the public in 1984.

Once inside the museum, a guide showed us around and told us lots of things about the house. In one corner, Iqbal’s prayer mat was laid out the way it used to be during his life. Hanging above it were some verses of his poetry.

Many of the rooms of his house had been turned into galleries, which showcased Iqbal’s letters, articles, drafts of his works, his personal diaries, certificates, medals, and more. There were also galleries displaying his clothes, shoes, and other accessories. There was a huge carpet hanging on one wall which had been a gift for Iqbal from the king of Afghanistan. Photographs of Iqbal and his family members, as well as parts from his poems were hung in various places throughout the museum.

The four rooms which had been in Iqbal’s use were preserved the way they had been when he had died. The first room was his bedroom. His bed, bedsheet, covers, and pillow were the same he had used. There was a small table which had the medicines he was using before he died. Hiss bookshelf was next to his bed, filled with books. His room clock had been stopped at 4:03, the time he had died.

The other rooms were his dining room and drawing room, which had his sofas, dining table, chairs, cooking utensils, and pots. The fourth room which used to be in his use had been turned into the museum office.


It was a small museum, with a simple interior, but it was clean and well maintained. The visit definitely taught us a lot about our historic figure and his life. Anyone who visits Lahore must visit this museum if he\she is interested to learn about Allama Iqbal.

Thank you.

Comments

  1. This must've been a great museum trip! Was Allama Iqbal a well-known poet in Pakistan? This museum sounds really worth visiting. :D Nice report!

    (Apologies for not being on in ages! How are you? 8D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw, I love your new format! The leaf background is a perfect choice and those colours! :D

      Delete
    2. Hi there!
      Yes, Allama Iqbal is a really well known poet in Pakistan. Even school-age kids here know about him and his poetry. Most of his poetry is for adults though, and pretty difficult to understand, however he has written a few poems for children too. :D Thanks!
      I'm fine, and how are you? (Long time no see!)
      Thanks. I though it was time for a change. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, I'm going to be moving to Islamabad, so I'll probabl go there. Sounds really interesting to me! I'm a History and nature maniac.. XD I love the new format!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're moving to Pakistan? That's nice, maybe we can even meet sometime irl. Btw, this museum is in Lahore, but there's a Natural History museum in Islamabad, which is really cool too. You must visit it when you get to Islamabad. :)

      Delete
  3. On my blgger profile, I saw you had written a post about Ishtiaq Ahmed. When I clicked on it to read more, it said "Sorry, the page you were looking for does not exist."Did you remove it or was it removed by someone???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I removed it because I had sent the writing to DAWN Letters to the Editor. I'm hoping for it to get published, so I've removed it from my blog in the meantime. If, by any chance, it happens to get published, I'l share it again, and if it doesn't get published, I'll share it anyway. I'll post it again within a week.

      Delete
    2. Oh, okay! I don't think I'll be able to see it, bec I don't live in Pakistan. But I hope it does get published. I was reading a book this morning written by him, and at first it is kinda boring.

      Delete
    3. It wasn't published! D:
      Which book were you reading? His novels aren't boring at all. Was it non-fiction?

      Delete
  4. This is a great review on Javed Manzil. I really enjoyed visiting it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Changes I would like to see in my country five years ahead

Short Story~The Storm

Poetry: To Dream