A glimpse into my novel

I had the idea for this story for ages, and I finally decided to share it on my blog. This is just a part of the story, I might make it a prologue, or perhaps insert it somewhere in between. It isn't exactly a glimpse, since I don't think you'd call 700 words a glimpse. XD I plan to make it a novel.

Please comment and tell me what you think about it, and whether you'd like to read more or not. Feedback and constructive criticism will be appreciated.

“So you can now operate the machine, and I hope I can leave you to look after the shop when I’m gone.  Now we have to see how you deal with customers.” The stationary shop in-charge said. “And we can find that out quick enough, as I can see our first customers of the day coming.”

Two college students, about the boy’s age, were coming towards the shop, carrying heavy bags filled with books. He eyed them with a pang of envy, thinking that if his life hadn’t taken that unexpected turn, he might have been like one of them.

So to test your skills, I’ll let you deal with those guys.” The shopkeeper went on, bringing him out of his thoughts.

“Huh?” The boy looked at him, confused for a second. “Yes, okay.”

The students had reached the shop by then. One of them placed a stack of books on the counter.

The shopkeeper started arranging some stationary items on the counter, pretending to be busy to allow the boy to handle the customers himself. The boy looked at them questioningly.

The tall black-haired guy picked a book from the stack and said: “I want chapters six, seven and nine of this photocopied.”

The boy nodded, and to keep them in mind, he wrote down on a piece of paper: Chp. 6, 7, 9 of Biology bk.

The guy looked at him incredulously. He had never seen a photocopier do that.

“Anything else?” Asked the boy politely.

“Yes.” He replied quickly. “Chapters three and four of this book.” He handed him a Chemistry book. The boy wrote that down too: Chp. 3 + 4 of Chemistry bk.

“And chapters nineteen and twenty of this book.” He handed a Physics book.

The boy added that to his list: Chp.19 + 20 of Physics bk.

“You’re sure that’s all we’ll need this term?” The black-haired one asked his companion.

“Promise.” He assured. “I heard the teachers say that.”

“So when will we get these photocopied?” The black-haired one asked, picking up his bag.

“By evening.” He replied, glancing at the shopkeeper to confirm, who gave a slight nod in return.

“OK. We’ll be back, and it should be done by then.” The one who hadn’t spoken to him by then said.

“Insha Allah. Why don’t you give me your cell number so I can call you when it’s done.” He suggested.

They both looked at him as if he had gone crazy.

“No need, no need.” Said the shopkeeper quickly, coming to save the day. “It’ll be done by then.”

They nodded and left the shop.

“What did you do that for? Look, if we call our customers to tell them that the book they asked for is now photocopied, it’ll take a lot of time and money. Just say it’ll be done by when you think it’ll be done!” The shopkeeper started lecturing the moment they were out of earshot. “And what the hell is this for?” He grabbed the paper on which the boy had noted down the parts to photocopy.

“I’ve noted down which chapters to photocopy.” He answered timidly.

The shopkeeper looked for a moment as if he didn’t know whether to be angry or satisfied. 

Then he said: “You could have simply folded the corners of the pages you have to copy.”

“That would ruin the paper of these books. They seem to be new.” He reasoned.

“Well, get started then.” The shopkeeper suddenly remembered that he had been lecturing the boy.  “It shouldn’t take that long. These books can be done in half an hour. You could’ve asked them to come back in an hour or so.”

“But-” began the boy.

“Now shut up and start your WORK!” The shopkeeper bellowed.

The boy picked up a Biology book and opened the first page. A paragraph in bold letters was standing out from the rest. His eyes automatically moved towards it:

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, photocopied, or transmitted in any form, by any means, without the prior written permission of the Publisher.

The boy closed his eyes. What was he supposed to do?

Comments

  1. This novel is really interesting, Fatima!! You should continue it! :D I love the way you've introduced the fact that the boy has to work in a shop and would envies the lifestyle of the college students. It's awesome! Since you've requested constructive criticism, I thought I should tell you I think there's a mistake in "Chp. 6, 7, 8 of Biology bk.", as the boy asked for chapter nine (or vice versa)? Otherwise, you might have put that in on purpose - if so, forget I said this. XD Also, I love the descriptions you've given! Only maybe you could make it a bit clearer about which boy (of the college students) is which? It's entirely up to you - I'm only suggesting. :)

    Anyway, this was a really intriguing read! Please do write more! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That was my mistake; I've edited it now. :) Thanks for the feedback, I guess there's a lot of space for improvement. Btw, I couldn't think of a name to give to 'the boy' which is why I just called him 'the boy'. XD And I suppose I could make it a bit clearer by describing the college students more properly.
      Thanks a lot! I plan to do so. :D

      Delete
    2. You're so welcome! Okay! :) No problem! Well, it's still really awesome as it is, though! :D Haha, I wouldn't worry too much about that! XD There are lots of authors out there who don't find a name for a character until a lot later in the book (sometimes I'll give a character a name and later in the story I decide it doesn't suit them so I change it :P). Okie! That's totally up to you though. :) You're very welcome, and that's brilliant!

      Delete
    3. Yes, that's right. I actually gave him a name when I was writing it, but removed it when typing it, because I might have to change it. It's a good idea to change the characters name when we feel like it doesn't suit them too well. Thanks!

      Delete
    4. :) Oh cool! I totally understand what you're saying. True! And you're absolutely welcome! Please do continue writing this!

      Delete
  2. This was SO AWESOME sis, I can't wait to read the next part!(OK, I won't touch your notebook! :P) I had read most of it earlier but then reread it because I hadn't read it completely. It's just great.
    Keep on writing! I'd love to read the whole novel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I didn't know it was that good. :D

      Delete
  3. Nice! I am waiting for the next part! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely written and so look forward to read more! Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An intriguing novel. You must continue it.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deciding to write a novel is a big decision and I'm sure the person who's interested and inquisitive in the minute details of each and every thing (of course like you) can do it very well.
    The main character of 'The boy' (is I think a different person) and wants to travel on the road less traveled. (It's an opinion which may be wrong)
    Waiting anxiously for your novel!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Changes I would like to see in my country five years ahead

Short Story~The Storm

Poetry: To Dream